It’s time for another recipe! First, the recipe. Then, me blathering onward about my occasionally questionable culinary capabilities and the memories this particular treat holds for me.
- The Ingredients
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water (H2O in Granny Comic’s handwriting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- sliced almonds for topping
- The Way of Preparing
- Oven to 375°, Yield is 7 1/2 dozen
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add egg, corn syrup, water, & vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour, soda, cardamom & cinnamon; mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds; roll into half inch thick square and wrap each square in plastic wrap. Chill for 1-2 hours.
- Roll out chilled dough on lightly floured surface into a 12 by 10 inch rectangle. Using a pastry cutter (pizza cutter, I promise it’s fine), cut into 2 inch squares.
- Cut each square across diagonally.
- Lay out cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 1″ apart. Press three sliced almonds into center of each cookie.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool cookies completely on a wire rack.
- This can also be made as lemon crisps, substituting the cardamom for a tablespoon of lemon zest and adding 1 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- The longer you chill the dough, the better. I’ve let it go for three hours and overnight before.
- Apple pie seasoning instead of cardamom, and a piece of dried apple instead of almonds make these great apple crisps.
Granny Comic made these once for me and I swear that I ate half a dozen of them before I had even realized it! The handwriting is from her book of confections that I inherited because I was cleaning her house for her with a cousin.