It’s time for another recipe! First, the recipe. Then, me blathering onward about my occasionally questionable culinary capabilities and the memories this particular feast holds for me.
- The Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 bananas, mashed, about a cup’s worth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Frosting of choice
- The Way of Preparing
- Oven to 375°F, 190°C, Gas mark 5
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for at least 30 seconds.
- Add half the flour, all of the sugar, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, baking powder, and spices.
- Beat until thoroughly combined; then beat in remaining flour.
- Beat in the bananas then stir in the chopped pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet or silicone mat.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on a rack, then frost with your frosting of choice.
- If you don’t have applesauce, add another egg instead.
Okay, so I love bananas. But it’s not a mutual affection; I’ve got an oral allergy to them, so I can only have them cooked without regretting it. This is a great way to use some nearly-dead bananas in a way that I can enjoy. I also will only use chopped pecans in this because my friend J has a walnut allergy and I want to make sure they can enjoy these with me.