It’s time for another recipe! First, the recipe. Then, me blathering onward about my occasionally questionable culinary capabilities and the memories this particular feast holds for me.
- The Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Chocolate frosting, if desired (I don’t)
- The Way of Preparing
- Oven to 350°F, 177°C, gas mark 4
- Melt the butter and chocolate together. Mix in the instant coffee. Allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla. Beat until just combined.
- Stir in flour until no streaks remain.
- Baked in a square 8 inch pan for 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
- You can add chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, or chopped nuts to this.
- Double the recipe for a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Some people, not I, frost their brownies.
There is an eternal debate between between cakey and fudgy brownies. I’m all for brownies in general, but I absolutely love fudgy ones, so in my birthday month, that’s what I went with! The coffee powder helps punch up the chocolate flavor, so it’s an optional ingredient.
My mom made caramel stuffed brownies without the flour once and they were the absolute best. I’ve loved fudgy brownies ever since.