12,339 Days Alive
365 Days Left until 2020
200 Books Still to Read
8-ish Hours Left in 2018
My day started way too early.
I didn’t have to be up until 6:30, but I’ve been up since 4am. Why? No clue. At least the sunrise this morning was lovely.
As I wind up the last scant dozen hours of 2018, I am headed towards Orlando with my Darling Wife. Crocheting in the passenger seat, as one does.
We finished up a day of me riding along with my Darling Wife as she goes about her normal day on her route. Not much other than conversation and crocheting to speak of; but that isn’t the main reason for this post, is it? No, not hardly.
This entry is about meeting one of my goals for 2019: I’m going to try reading 200 books before 2020.
#200books will be how I track it on Twitter. And yes, I am aware that mathematically that’s little over half a book a day. Which works out to about four books a week. And assuming the average book takes about 6.5 hours to read, I’ll spend approximately 1,300 hours of 2019 reading.
Because WHY NOT?! I mean, 5,352 books ain’t gonna read themselves! Well, they could. Because audio books are a thing, as is text to speech. But that is besides the point.
In any case, I’m going to be racking at least four Reading Challenges during 2019.
For the first quarter of the year, I’m going to do The Color Coded Reading Challenge being put on by My Reader’s Block. I’ve borrowed the text rules of the challenge below:
~Read nine books in the following categories:
1. A book with “Blue” or any shade of Blue (Turquoise, Aquamarine, Navy, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
2. A book with “Red” or any shade of Red (Scarlet, Crimson, Burgandy, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
3. A book with “Yellow” or any shade of Yellow (Gold, Lemon, Maize, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
4. A book with “Green” or any shade of Green (Emerald, Lime, Jade, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
5. A book with “Brown” or any shade of Brown (Tan, Beige, Sand, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
6. A book with “Black” or any shade of Black (Jet, Ebony, Charcoal, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
7. A book with “White” or any shade of White (Ivory, Eggshell, Cream, etc.) in the title/on the cover.
8. A book with any other color in the title/on the cover (Purple, Orange, Silver, Magenta, Pink, etc.).
9. A book with a word that implies color in the title/on the cover (Rainbow, Polka-dot, Plaid, Shadow, Paint, Ink, etc.).
So for my nine, I’ve been scrolling through my 5,300 and some odd possibilities as of currently.
- Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood
- Red Phoenix by Andrew Warren
- Deep Yellow by Stuart F. Dodds
- Green Heart by Alice Hoffman
- The Witches’ Craft by Sandgroan (brown cover!)
- Black Annis: Demon Hunter by Aubrey Law
- Iced Out in Iceland by Zelda White (white cover!)
- Violet’s Mail Order Husband by Kate Whitsby
- Mother of Shadows by Meg Anne
As I work through them, I will post reviews for each, as it is part of the challenge. There will eventually be a link on the menu that will take you to the various reading challenges I do.
Maybe I’ll challenge Duckie to a book suggestion thing? He picks three non fiction books for me and I pick three fiction for him? Hmm. Something to consider.
Another entry likely before the “ball drop” that is the kickoff to 2019.
Take your meds, everyone! And don’t drive intoxicated. No excuses.